[DVIPDFMx] changing PDF default to 1.5

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sat Dec 5 18:38:58 KST 2009

Karl Berry wrote:

> additional compression.  Meaning these two lines in TeX Live's .ini files:
>
>      \pdfminorversion=5
>      \pdfobjcompresslevel=2
>
> So that's the question: is it safe and a good idea to have pdftex and
> luatex output 1.5 by default, with object compression turned on?

My opinion does not count as (taco already mentioned it) in context we
enabled version 1.5 as well as obj compression a while ago and no ini
files is involved. I know that occasionally users set the values
differently (we have some commands for that).

Anyway, to me it looks kind of weird to set this in an ini file and not
in the macro package. What if a macro package uses 1.6 features and the
user sets the ini values to 1.3? Only the backend related code knows.

Maybe reasonable defaults should just be hard coded in the engines (just
as other defaults are hard coded.

Hans