[DVIPDFMx] compiling & debugging dvipdfmx in TeXLive environment

Alexander Grahn A.Grahn at hzdr.de
Wed Mar 7 23:24:44 KST 2012

Hi,

I would like to compile and debug the current dvipdfmx CVS snapshot in
the TeXLive-2011 environment. Could one of the developpers please
provide me with information on how to configure dvipdfmx for this purpose?

I guess there is some bug in the usage of the kpathsea library that I
want to investigate. More specifically, I want to find out why dvipdfmx
does not locate files installed in the TDS and present in the file name
database, as well as files in the working directory.

I have successfully downloaded the dvipdfmx CVS version. I am using a
home-directory based installation of TeXLive. Are all settings
accessible via options to the `configure' script, or do I need to adjust
things within files? I couldn't find a configure option that enables the
debugging option `-g' of gcc. TeXLive is located in
/home/grahn/texlive/2011/. What are the next steps?

Here is an example of creating two file attachments, one TDS file
(article.cls) and a file in the working directory:

\special{pdf:fstream @obj1 (article.cls)}%
\special{pdf:ann bbox 0 0 10 10 <<
  /Subtype /FileAttachment /FS <<
    /Type /Filespec /F (article.cls)
      /EF << /F @obj1 >> >>
  /Name /PushPin >>}
text in between.
\special{pdf:fstream @obj2 (somefile.txt)}%
\special{pdf:ann bbox 0 0 10 10 <<
  /Subtype /FileAttachment /FS <<
    /Type /Filespec /F (somefile.txt)
      /EF << /F @obj2 >> >>
  /Name /PushPin >>}

\bye

Producing:

[1
** WARNING ** Could not open file: article.cls
** WARNING ** Interpreting special command fstream (pdf:) failed.
** WARNING ** >> at page="1" position="(72, 769.89)" (in PDF)
** WARNING ** >> xxx "pdf:fstream @obj1 (article.cls)"
** WARNING ** Could not open file: somefile.txt
** WARNING ** Interpreting special command fstream (pdf:) failed.
** WARNING ** >> at page="1" position="(166.645, 759.927)" (in PDF)
** WARNING ** >> xxx "pdf:fstream @obj2 (somefile.txt)"
]
** WARNING ** Object @obj1 used, but not defined. Replaced by null.
** WARNING ** Object @obj2 used, but not defined. Replaced by null.