[DVIPDFMx] `pdf:image' already prints image to paper

Jin-Hwan CHO chof at ktug.kr
Wed Aug 24 13:50:39 KST 2011

Hi, Alexander.

2011/8/22 Alexander Grahn <A.Grahn at hzdr.de>:

> I'd like to create an Image XObject from a bitmapped file. But instead
> of only creating the object, the `pdf:image' special already prints it
> to the page. This is different from pdftex behaviour.

Even though the behaviour is different from the one of pdftex,
it came from the original dvipdfm, so I do not want to touch it
because of compatibility.

> Is there a way to prevent pdf:image from immediately printing the image
> file? I need the Image XObject for a different purpose than printing
> to paper.

One trick is to use Form XObject as the following code shows.
(The lion.png was downloaded from
http://www.cksinfo.com/clipart/animals/lions/lion.png)

B \dotfill B

\special{pdf:bxobj @myImageXObj width 308bp height 237bp}%