[DVIPDFMx] dvipdfmx and pdf1.4

Jin-Hwan Cho jinhwan.cho at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 16:27:18 KST 2010

On Mar 28, 2010, at 8:28 AM, Karl Berry wrote:

>    1. (XeTeX+xdvipdfmx) One way is to implement a new primitive \pdfminorversion
>        that sends an option "-V 5" to xdvipdfmx. Another way is to do nothing and just
>        use the new special command.
>    2. (LaTeX+dvipdfmx) There is only one way using the new special command.
>
> I'm guessing that Jonathan will prefer the "do nothing" alternative :),
> so that the new special is used in just the same way for x and non-x
> dvipdfmx.

I hope your guess was right.

>    I will implement the new special as soon as possible.
>
> Thanks much.  As previously discussed, I have hopes to start compiling
> for TL 2010 soon.  (Reminds me ... Jonathan, are any XeTeX changes to
> push into the TL repo?)

Your request has been implemented in the new snapshot DVIPDFMX-20100328
that you can download from the homepage (or the cvs server) of dvipdfmx.

The patch for xdvipdfmx is also prepared and attached in this mail. This patch
also fixes a few memory leaks found recently by me (of course already reported
to Jonathan) and Akira Kakuto's patch supporting UTF-16 in CMap files.

> I have one other thought: inserting a special is vastly different than
> setting a primitive register, since it affects the output stream.
> Probably it should be done at the first shipout, and not anytime
> earlier.  So, Manuel, I suppose that means involving atbegshi after
> all.  We can discuss ...

The best way to use the new special is \AtBeginDvi{\special{pdf:minorversion 5}}, I think.

Best regards, ChoF.