[DVIPDFMx] play multimedia attached file

Jin-Hwan Cho jinhwan.cho at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 22:44:15 KST 2010

The attached file contains a LaTeX file "sample_movie.tex" that you wanted.

Moreover, two PDF files are included, one is generated by XeTeX and the other
is generated by the current CVS version of dvipdfmx (patched).

If you have Acrobat Reader 9, try to open both PDF files. The PDF generated by
XeTeX kills the application. On the other hand, Acrobat Reader 9 asks some
security question for the second PDF file. After giving the answer "ALWAYS" and
close the application. After that, reopen Acrobat Reader 9, then you can see the
contents. (I do not know the exact reason but the same thing happened with
the PDF result generated by pdfTeX too.)

In my opinion, you do not have such a problem with old versions of Acrobat Reader.

Then, WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE? I spent whole my SUNDAY to resolve this problem.
I generated a (working) PDF sample with pdfTeX and Alexander Grahn's "movie15.sty".
And then I tried to find any difference... The solution was that THERE IS NO ID ARRAY
IN THE TRAILER!!!

The PDF Reference says

"ID array: (Required if an Encrypt entry is present; optional otherwise; PDF 1.1)"

However, it also says

NOTE 2: Although this entry is optional, its absence might prevent the file from
functioning in some workflows that depend on files being uniquely identified.

Best regards, ChoF.

PS. Jonathan, I patched the CVS version of dvipdfmx a few hours ago. I suggest to
patch xdvipdfmx too. It's quite simple, and does not affect any other parts.