[DVIPDFMx] /Rect [...] of pdf annotation too big

Jin-Hwan Cho jinhwan.cho at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 09:23:41 KST 2009

Dear Alexander Grahn,

You are right that the annotations created with dvipdfmx are larger
than you expected.
This feature came from the Mark Vick's dvipdfm which is the origin of
dvipdfmx.

Actually dvipdfm and dvipdfmx have their own configuration file,

$TEXMF/dvipdfm/config/config (dvipdfm)
$TEXMF/dvipdfmx/dvipdfmx.cfg (dvipdfmx)

Here, you can find an option "g 1". That option controls the margin
size of annotations.
So if it was specified by "g 1", any annotation has left margin 1bp
and right margin 1bp.

To turn off this option, you can change the configuration file by
giving "g 0".
Or, at the time when you run dvipdfmx, try "dvipdfmx -g 0 DVI-NAME".

I thought that many people does not want to have extra margin. So in
the dvipdfmx.cfg
of the CVS version, the option "g 1" was commented out. But, still
TeXLive has that
option. I will report this one to Karl Berry.

Best regards, ChoF.