[DVIPDFMx] is it possible to support pdf stream in dvipdfmx ?

Jin-Hwan Cho jinhwan.cho at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 19:17:21 KST 2009

On Feb 28, 2009, at 11:13 AM, luoyi wrote:

> hi, it looks like dvipdfmx lacks some fancy featuer pdftex have. some
> times ago, I want to use beamer slide transitions in my presentation.
> but found it can't work well with dvipdfmx. and the author(Till) reply
> to me:
>
> "indeed, they do not work. This is due to the fact that transitions
> are hand-coded for pdflatex, currently. Beamer is only "indirectly"
> aware of dvipdfm and does not support it very well. Support of dvipdfm
> would be possible, but is not trivial."
>
> now, I want to use the pgf's fading operation, but it still doesn't be
> supported by dvipdfmx:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=2B1154D2-CB60-4C38-AA8C-04C80A795B28%40tcs.uni-luebeck.de
>
> I want to know can we implement these things in dvipdfmx make it
> more usable.

It is possible to use the fading feature in PGF with dvipdfmx since
June 2008.
However, you need a new PGF driver for dvipdfmx which can be
downloaded from

http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/contrib/generic/pgfsys-dvipdfmx.def.version2

You should replace $TEXMF/tex/generic/pgf/systemlayer/pgfsys-
dvipdfmx.def to the above one
after removing the trail ".version2".

If you want the features, image masking and transparency, you need
more work
because the source code of PGF must be changed a little. To do that,
download

http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/contrib/generic/pgfsys-dvipdfmx-patch.tex.version2

and then remove the trail ".version2". After that you must load that
file after loading
the PGF package as follows:

\usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx}
\usepackage{tikz}
\input pgfsys-dvipdfmx-patch.tex

I emailed the author of PGF that I made a new driver for DVIPDFMx. But
it was not
accepted yet. I don't know the exact reason.

Best regards, ChoF.