[DVIPDFMx] issue with setting document language

Pablo Rodríguez oinos at web.de
Sun Dec 27 19:55:42 KST 2009

Hi there,

I am trying to set the document language in this way using XeLaTeX and
xdvipdfmx:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}
\special{pdf:put @catalog << /Lang (es-ES) >> }
Spanish should be the reading language in this document.
\end{document}

And I experience the following: it seems to work in acroread <7 (or at
least it shows es-ES in the document language), but it doesn't work with
acroread >=7 (both Windows and Linux versions tested).

How can I set the reading language of the document so that it works with
acroread 9.2? (Just it case it might help, I'm using XeLaTeX from
TeXLive 2009 [as packaged for openSUSE 11.x].)

Thanks for your help,

Pablo