[DVIPDFMx] Fwd: file size

Matthias Franz matthias at ktug.or.kr
Thu Dec 10 05:51:44 KST 2009

Hello Yves,

On Wed, Dec 09, 2009 at 06:59:32PM +0900, Yves Maniette wrote:
>  I have a big concern. I am making a document that has some pictures. with
> dvipdfm it is about 2MB but with dvipdfmx it is about 20 MB!
>
>  Where should I seek for the possible glitches ? I have tried to change the
> -z option but it does not change indeed, or very little.

I guess it's related to conversion of some (JPEG?) images to bitmaps.

Could you extract the images of the resulting PDF files with

  pdfimages -j file.pdf root

(where "root" is a prefix for the extracted images)? Then check whether
you get the same image formats for dvipdfm and dvipdfmx.

Are you including PS files containing pictures? In this case it could
be related to the options used for gs/ps2pdf. Ghostscript either
converts all images it finds to bitmaps or all to JPEG. This is
controlled with the -dAutoFilterGrayImages and -dGrayImageFilter
options (for B&W) and similarly for colour images. With the "-vv"
option dvipdfmx shows you the command it runs for conversion.
Our default is bitmap to avoid lossy compression. I guess that for
dvipdfm you have to check the config file. I know of no way to tell
ghostscript to leave all images unchanged.

Best,
--
Matthias