[DVIPDFMx] changing PDF default to 1.5

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Dec 7 01:12:32 KST 2009

Hans Hagen a écrit :
> Matthias Franz wrote:
>> On my personal experience that some people use computers that haven't
>> been updated for ages. Although these are not the people who are likely
>> to use TeX Live, they might be among the people a TeX Live user would
>> like to read his/her documents. Of course, this is basically the problem
>> of the users of old software. But, as I indicated, in some situations
>> the creator of a PDF file doesn't want this to happen.
>
> they can always install one of many pdf viewers that's available so we
> shoudl not worry about this occasional non updating users (who probably
> might have no dvd either no fast internet and so never see tex live 2009)

As Matthias said, the problem is not for people installing TL09 or 10, but for
people who will receive the documents: pdf being a document *exchange* format,
be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send, etc.

Anyway, from this discussion I get the impression that pdf 1.5 is enough widely
supported to become the new default in TL10. People needing extreme backwards
compatibility can always change it for specific documents or in their local
installation.

Manuel.