[DVIPDFMx] changing PDF default to 1.5

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon Dec 7 00:16:50 KST 2009

Matthias Franz wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 06, 2009 at 06:01:08AM +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Sa, 05 Dez 2009, Matthias Franz wrote:
>>> On the other hand, there are still some users out there with old PDF
>>> readers unable to read PDF 1.5. Hence for documents that should be
>> I think the discussion here showed that there is, besides one ebook
>> reader, no << 1.5 reader. On what do you bae your comment?
>
> On my personal experience that some people use computers that haven't
> been updated for ages. Although these are not the people who are likely
> to use TeX Live, they might be among the people a TeX Live user would
> like to read his/her documents. Of course, this is basically the problem
> of the users of old software. But, as I indicated, in some situations
> the creator of a PDF file doesn't want this to happen.

they can always install one of many pdf viewers that's available so we
shoudl not worry about this occasional non updating users (who probably
might have no dvd either no fast internet and so never see tex live 2009)

and .. there are the archives with old pdf docs ... why read the latest
greatest manuals when you don't update anyway

so, keeping < 1.5 compatibility for me has a pretty low priority

Hans