[DVIPDFMx] changing PDF default to 1.5

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Sat Dec 5 16:28:54 KST 2009

Elie Roux wrote:
> Taco Hoekwater a écrit :
>> It'll break the display on any software that only supports 1.4
>> (like some e-readers) because you are lying about the minimum
>> requirements.
>
> Ok. I must say I've been looking for softwares not supporting 1.5 pdf
> and I failed... do you know other softwares that support only 1.4? Of

The original iLiad by irex, for example. But that actual example is not
what Martin and I are warning about. You should not attempt to insert
newer pdf versions inside pdfs you create that say they are an older
pdf version, in general. There are just endless ways that that can go
wrong.

> which e-readers are you talking about? It would be interesting to
> document it if it becomes an option (or the default) in TeXLive...

People with such old hardware or software will know about it, so I
don't think you will have to do anything special documentation-wise.
(ConTeXt has been defaulting to 5+2 for years now).

Best wishes,
Taco