[DVIPDFMx] %v and xdvipdfmx

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 28 09:18:04 KST 2009

ChoF, Matthias, all,

Two things about the D settings in dvipdfmx.cfg have come up.

1) It seems that xdvipdfmx also reads dvipdfmx.cfg.  Unfortunately,
   Jonathan did not have a chance to implement in xdvipdfmx the
   -dCompatibilityLevel=%v which dvipdfmx.cfg now passes to ps2pdf.  The
   result is just the empty string, hence syntax error.

   Even if Jonathan did import the code, I don't really want to rebuild
   again just for this.  Ok if we revert to -dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 for
   the time being?  No need for you to change this in your tree, but I
   wanted to check with you.

2) Akira says that the -dSAFER in ps2pdf is problematic for this usage.
   I asked him for details.  But supposing that's so, the only evident
   workaround I see is to revert to calling rungs with all the other
   options from ps2pdf.  (I don't see something like a -u in gs, so we
   could undefine SAFER.)  As in (for us):

D  "rungs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sPAPERSIZE=a0 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.3 -dAutoFilterGrayImages=false
-dGrayImageFilter=/FlateEncode -dAutoFilterColorImages=false
-dColorImageFilter=/FlateEncode -dUseFlateCompression=true -sOutputFile=%o
%i -c quit"

(Except all on one line of course.)

Wdyt?

Thanks,