[DVIPDFMx] regression with dvipdfmx-20090506 and later

Matthias Franz matthias at ktug.or.kr
Wed Aug 12 10:36:56 KST 2009

Hello Jukka,

although this problem might be encountered more often with the latest
release of dvipdfmx, it seems to me that it is not caused by our code.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:32:00PM +0200, Jukka Salmi wrote:
> While running dvipdfmx with -vv I noticed that temporary file names are
> recycled as soon as all 26 lowercase latin letters have been used:

It looks as if the mkstemp function on your system cannot create more
than 26 distinct file names per process. What is the value of TMP_MAX
(the minimum number of unique filenames) on your system? On my Linux box,
mkstemp uses all 6 "X"'s to get a unique filename, and TMP_MAX == 238328.

> BTW, this is on a NetBSD/i386 5.0 system with a TeX Live 2009 pretesting
> release.

Some googling seems to indicate that this is a problem with NetBSD.
If that's true, then the question is whether we should change our code
to accomodate for a poor implementation of mkstemp.

Cheers,
--
Matthias