[DVIPDFMx] ebb conflicts with same named file from dvipdfm

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat May 31 09:19:42 KST 2008

Hi Jonathan,

(Sorry for the badly delayed response.)

    > there is now a conflict since we ship a file for dvipdfm with the
    > same name

As you may have gathered from ChoF's message, the goal is to get rid of
the unmaintained and buggy dvipdfm.  But I didn't want existing scripts
or procedures that might use ebb to break.  Therefore I asked ChoF to
make ebb functionality available in dvipdfmx, as another step towards
eliminating dvipdfm.

So I suggest eliminating the installation of ebb from dvipdfm, rather
than from dvipdfmx.  That is what I have done for TeX Live.  In next
year's release, I expect to eliminate dvipdfm altogether (and make it a
symlink to dvipdfmx).

Best,
Karl (TeX Live maintainer)

P.S. Just for the record, I think it was actually Matthias's good idea to
have one dvipdfmx executable that can do the bb extraction stuff too :).