[DVIPDFMx] Re: latest change to pdfnames.c

Matthias.Franz at ujf-grenoble.fr Matthias.Franz at ujf-grenoble.fr
Wed Jun 18 17:18:52 KST 2008

Quoting Jin-Hwan Cho <chofchof at ktug.or.kr>:
>> What should we do if an object reference is redefined? Currently
>> we discard the new value (BTW, there is a memory leak, i.e., no
>> pdf_release_obj). If you think of the situation where DVI files are
>> concatenated, it might be better to replace the old value.
>
> It would be better to support both ways. How? I have no idea yet.
> In many cases, I also wanted to replace the previous value, but we
> should think about the compatibility to the previous versions.

Do you have an example where the new value should be discarded?
I can only think of broken DVI files made by buggy TeX macros
and not of a situation where the new definition was deliberately
inserted. And I don't think we should take buggy software as our
guiding line.

> Why don't you make a new special or a new option which supports
> replacing?

If you want to concatenate existing DVI files, a new special doesn't
help. A new option might be a solution (if it makes sense to keep
the old value at all). I would choose "replace old value" as default.

Cheers,
--
Matthias