[DVIPDFMx] ToUnicode CMap for font "Wingdings-Regular"

Jin-Hwan Cho chofchof at ktug.or.kr
Mon Jun 16 11:27:00 KST 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 11:03 AM, Jin-Hwan Cho wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Oleg A. Paraschenko wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> here is my test LaTeX document:
>>
>> :::::::
>> \documentclass{minimal}
>> \usepackage{fontspec}
>> \newfontface\wingdings{Wingdings}
>> \setromanfont{Helvetica}
>> \begin{document}
>> {\wingdings\char232} arrow right
>> \end{document}
>> :::::::
>>
>> I process it under Mac OS X:
>>
>> $ xelatex --output-driver=xdvipdfmx test.tex
>>
>> The PDF document is generated correctly, with an arrow before the
>> words
>> "arrow right". However, I get in the console (not in the log file):
>>
>> ** WARNING ** Unable to read TrueType Unicode cmap table.
>> ** WARNING ** Failed to load ToUnicode CMap for font "Wingdings-
>> Regular"
>>
>> Can I suppress these messages?
>
> Sorry. You cannot with the current version. I will change the source
> code
> to show the warning message only the verbose option is turned on.

Actually I did not notice that you used xdvipdfmx, not dvipdfmx.
There are two different routines in dvipdfmx for supporting TrueType
fonts.

1. TTF fonts having less than or equal to 256 characters
2. TTF fonts having more than 256 characters

As I know, Wingdings.ttf is the first case. In the case of dvipdfmx,
your mapfile
must be (assuming that the tfm name is wingdings)

wingdings none Wingdings.ttf

or some encoding name (e.g. 8r, etc.) instead of "none".

However, dvipdfmx cannot generate a result if the following line is
given
in the mapfile.

wingdings unicode :0:Wingdings.ttf

The reason is that Wingdings.ttf supports just (1:0) and (3:0) for the
pair of
(Platform ID:Encoding ID). However, dvipdfmx supports (3:10), (3:1)
and (0:3) only.

Best regards, ChoF.