[DVIPDFMx] Re: Your two packages and DVIPDFMx

Jin-Hwan Cho chofchof at ktug.or.kr
Tue Jun 10 02:40:07 KST 2008

On Jun 9, 2008, at 9:41 PM, Alexander Grahn wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 08:26:17PM +0900, Jin-Hwan Cho wrote:
>> (3) xdvipdfmx: the same code as dvipdfmx but with the extension for
>> XeTeX. Whenever our team modify the source code of dvipdfmx,
>> Jonathan Kew also modifies the source code of xdvipdfmx.
>
> That's good news.
>
>>> Is it possible to embed MetaPost generated Postscript as with
>>> pdfLaTeX?
>>
>> Sure. Even the recent version of dvipdfmx supports PGF graphics too.
>
> I tried to run `xelatex --output-driver="xdvipdfmx" example' on
> example.tex with the following contents:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> \begin{document}
> \includegraphics{exp_0.mps}
> \end{document}
>
> `exp_0.mps' is a MetaPost generated Postscript file from the animate
> documentation. But I get an error message (MiKTeX-2.7):
>
> ! Unable to load picture or PDF file 'exp_0.mps'.
> <to be read again>
>                   }
> l.7 \includegraphics{exp_0.mps}
>
> ? x

XeTeX may not support .mps files in Mac OS X system because xdvipdfmx
is not used in that case as I know.

However, in other operating systems, there is no reason why XeTeX does
not support .mps files. Is this true, Jonathan?

Anyway, you can use dvipdfmx after giving "dvipdfmx" option as follows:

\usepackage[dvipdfmx]{graphicx}

Please do not test the modified animate.sty or movie15.sty with the
dvipdfmx
in MiKTeX. The version may be somewhat old.

>> I can help you, but you are the best person for the maintainer of
>> movie15.
>> You do not need to develop further. I am satisfied with the role of
>> your
>> assistant for movie15.
> Would you please add dvipdfmx support to movie15.sty, if you don't
> mind, and send it to me if you think it is ready? I would adjust the
> documentation accordingly (giving you credit etc.) and upload
> everything
> to CTAN.

You can download from

http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/contrib/latex/animate.sty.sample
http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/contrib/latex/movie15.sty.sample

I tried to compile each manuals to test, and got the same result as
pdfTeX.

> PS: I don't know whether animate and movie15 work with right to left
> typesetting as it is common for many asian languages. Have you ever
> tested this? (I believe that most users of dvipdfmx and Xe(La)TeX are
> located in asian countries.)

CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) languages do not use right-to-left
typesetting. Instead we have top-to-bottom and then right-to-left
typesetting
as the following sample shows:

http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/sample/ptex/ama-no-kaguyama.pdf

However, this typesetting is usually used for typesetting old documents,
for example, old poem and old novels, etc. Almost all modern documents
do not use this kind of typesetting.

Moreover, there is only one TeX engine which supports this typesetting,
that is, Japanese pTeX + dvipdfmx. In this case, there is no problem
with
animate and movie15. But nobody want to try, I think.

It is true that most users of dvipdfmx are Japanese. The main reason is
that pdfTeX cannot support Japanese typesetting. But there are many
non-asian users too. The main reason why they like the final PDF result
of dvipdfmx rather than pdftex is  the size of PDF. Usually you can get
a PDF, 30% reduced. In some cases, only 1/3 size.

Best regards, ChoF.