[DVIPDFMx] Re: Your two packages and DVIPDFMx

Jin-Hwan Cho chofchof at ktug.or.kr
Mon Jun 9 20:26:17 KST 2008

Hi, Alexander.

Thanks for your quick reply.

On Jun 9, 2008, at 7:37 PM, Alexander Grahn wrote:

> I would like to incorporate your code into animate.sty in order to
> make
> it dvipdfmx compatible. I am only somewhat confused about the
> different
> versions of dvipdfm. There is a xdvipdfmx for Xe(La)TeX, will it
> support
> the pdf:stream special as well?

There are three variants of dvipdfm:

(1) dvipdfm: original one and written by M. Wicks. Its development was
stopped since 2003. And it does not support "pdf:stream" special.

(2) dvipdfmx: the working version and written by the DVIPDFMx project
team since 2002. Since the recent version (will be included in TeXLive
2008) it supports "pdf:stream". Old versions already had "pdf:fstream".

(3) xdvipdfmx: the same code as dvipdfmx but with the extension for
XeTeX. Whenever our team modify the source code of dvipdfmx,
Jonathan Kew also modifies the source code of xdvipdfmx. You can
simply think that both are the same. So the recent version has the new
special "pdf:stream".

> Next question is about measuring the natural dimensions of graphics
> files to be animated. Is it necessary to include the graphicx package
> and does the user have to provide the BBox coordinates? I guess that
> LaTeX is not able to extract this information from PDFs, PNGs or JPEGs
> on its own.

You are right. LaTeX is not able to do that. However, the dvipdfmx
driver
for LaTeX graphics bundle supports automatic generation of the BBox
information. Therefore, the graphicx package is necessary for dvipdfmx.
But XeTeX does not need it because it has ability to extract information
as pdfTeX.

> Is it possible to embed MetaPost generated Postscript as with
> pdfLaTeX?

Sure. Even the recent version of dvipdfmx supports PGF graphics too.

> As for movie15, would you like to overtake its maintenance? I am
> afraid
> I will not have the time to develop it further, apart from bug fixes.

I can help you, but you are the best person for the maintainer of
movie15.
You do not need to develop further. I am satisfied with the role of your
assistant for movie15.

Best regards. ChoF.